One of the most interesting topics on skin care is “Anti-Aging Skin Care”. As one gets older, the natural defense of our skin (and in fact of the whole body) weakens. Anti-aging skin care is about protecting your skin from the negative effects of the aging process. This type of skin care helps in maintaining a young and fresh look for a longer period of time. However this skin care doesn’t end just here. Besides maintaining your good looks, skin care is also about retaining a resistance to disease. Though the awareness about anti-aging has increased over a period of time, still a lot of people are unable to recognize the aging symptoms (and hence are unable to determine if they are in need of additional anti-aging skin care measures).
Here is a list of visible anti-aging symptoms that will help you in the planning and execution of your strategy for this skin care: baldness, forgetfulness, graying hair, wrinkle formation, loss of eyesight or hearing loss and menopause. The occurrence of one or more such symptoms is an indicator for upping the ante on anti-aging skin care. Note that we are talking about the introduction of additional measures for anti-aging skin care, we are not talking about starting anti-aging skin care altogether. ‘Anti-aging skin care’ actually starts much before the symptoms appear. Serious anti-aging skin care is building and following a proper routine much earlier in life (say in your teens). Anti-aging skin care doesn’t mean adoption of any special skin care procedure but just following a normal procedure in the right sequence. Eating a lot of fruits, avoiding stress, drinking a lot of water and using natural therapies can delay the aging process.
Once the signs of aging start showing up, you should start using some additional measures in the form of anti-aging skin care products. The market is full of these types of skin care products. In fact there are so many anti-aging skin care products that they will probably find you even before you find them. Also, with age, the skin undergoes significant change. So, you will need to analyze your current skin care procedure to check if it still holds good i.e. if it is still suitable for your skin.
You should remember that aging is a natural process and there is nothing that can stop it from happening. All these anti-aging skin measures can just help in delaying the aging process.
Anti-aging skin care is a very poplar concept in today’s world. Today everyone wants to hide their age using anti-aging skin care procedures (and a number of people are successful too). However this skin care is not achieved by any magic potion. Anti-aging skin care is about discipline. It is about being proactive. This type of skin care is used for retarding the aging process. Here are a few tips for proactive anti-aging skin care:
Maintain healthy eating habits: A well balanced diet is the key to maintaining a proper body metabolism. Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables (raw), they are the best source of fiber and have a very refreshing effect on your body. Avoid oily and fatty food; not only do they lack in essential nutrients but also cause obesity and other diseases which aid the aging process.
- Beat stress: This is probably the most important of the anti-aging skin care measure. Stress disturbs the body metabolism and accelerates the aging process. Sleep, exercise and a relaxing bath, are all good ways of beating stress. Aromatherapy is also known to bust stress.
- Drink a lot of water: Anti-aging skin care can’t be any simpler than this. Water helps in flushing out the toxins from the body, hence keeping it clean and making it less prone to disease. Around 8 glasses of water (per day) is recommended by all doctors.
- Regular exercise is a wonderful aid to this skin care procedure. Besides toning your muscles, it also helps in cleaning the skin by flushing out the toxins in the form of sweat. Exercise should be followed by a warm shower in order to completely remove the toxins.
- Avoid the use of strong, chemical based products on your skin. Natural skin care products are a good option. Use of organic skin care products (homemade or commercial) can be a very effective anti-aging skin care measure.
- Do not overuse skin care products. Excessive and harsh application, both are harmful.
- Do not ignore skin disorders; it can lead to permanent skin damage. Try over the counter medication and if that doesn’t help, immediately visit your dermatologist and seek his/her advice.
- Vitamin C based skin care products are very popular means of skin care. However, these seem to oxidize very quickly (which makes them harmful for the skin). So, store them properly. If the product turns yellowish brown, it means that Vitamin C has oxidized and the product is no longer suitable for use.
- Protect your skin against UV rays; UV rays are known to speed up the aging process. So, a good sunscreen lotion should be a part of your anti-aging skin care routine.
Anti-Aging Skin Care Products
Indeed, anti-aging skin care products are very popular today; and why not, who doesn’t want to look young forever?
Talking of anti-aging skin care products, the first thing that comes to mind is Vitamin C based skin care products. These products work by enabling the synthesis of collagen (a structural protein that is found in skin). This category of skin care products is related to anti-oxidants. Anti-aging skin care products that are based on Vitamin C are, however, posed with the danger of getting oxidized themselves (as they come into contact with air during their usage). So, some skin care products are based on the derivatives of Vitamin C, which are more stable and less expensive. However, the effectiveness of such skin care is not as much as it is for Vitamin C based skin care products.
Besides Vitamin C, Vitamin E and lipoic acid are anti-oxidants too. Vitamin E is a fat-soluble anti-oxidant that is found in human blood and helps in building resistance against infection. Vitamin E is also known to inhibit cancer. Lipoic acid is known to combat the signs of aging very effectively by reversing the skin damage caused by the aging process.
Phytochemicals form the other category of anti-aging skin care products. Phytochemical are special chemicals that are extracted from plants. There are a variety of phytochemicals that are in use today. Phytochemicals prevent occurrence of cancer of certain types; these include prostate cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer. That is why they find their place in skin care products.
Some B-Vitamins like B5, B6 and B12 are also in use for anti-aging skin care products.
The field of anti-aging skin care products is vast and needs a lot of research. Though the currently available products are effective, they still have challenges to combat. Hopefully, these challenges will get resolved in due course and help get better and cheaper skin care products.
However, anti-aging skin care products should be used only as a supplement to the natural ways of skin and body care. So, drinking a lot of water, getting a good night sleep, exercising regularly, maintaining healthy eating habits and keeping stress at bay are an essential means of delaying the aging process. No anti-aging skin care product can replace them really.