From the days of early civilization in Egypt, people have been using aromatherapy to in everyday their everyday lives. Without the intricacies of modern healing, people back then only resort to traditional and alternative medicine in relieving physical pain. But, due to the emergence of modern science in the field of medicine, this tradition of healing using natural resources have slowly disappeared.
But today, with the trend of going back to the natural and to the basic, aromatherapy is becoming quite popular in the world of healing because of its therapeutic properties. Usually, aromatherapy involves the use of aromatherapy oils derived from various parts of plants. These aromatherapy oils are believed to contain therapeutic properties that greatly help patients to recover and heal eventually.
AROMATHERAPY OILS 101
Basically, aromatherapy refers to the healing technique that uses aromatic oils extracted and distilled from different plants to bring about a feeling of well being physically and psychologically.
The most common form of using aromatherapy oil is through inhalation done by placing a tiny drop of your chosen aromatherapy oil on a piece facial tissue or soft cloth. Aside from inhaling it using a cloth or a tissue, you can also reap the benefits of aromatherapy oil through steam inhalation that involves the use the aromatherapy oil dropped in bowl of hot water. Aromatherapy oils-when used in conjunction with a carrier oil-is also a great way to a relaxing massage or a soothing bath.
Aside from using aromatherapy oil as a soothing medium, this can also be used to solve common household problems such as smelly kitchen, drawer, or room. Various aromatherapy oils like lavender, citronella, and peppermint can also be effective bug repellants and natural insect repellents. You can do this by placing a few drops of the aromatherapy oil on cotton balls and place them in locations where insects usually thrive like doorways and windows.
Since there are seemingly countless ways where one can use aromatherapy oils, it is a must to familiarize yourself what are the things you should consider before buying or purchasing aromatherapy oils.
– Conduct a little research before using specific aromatherapy oil. Since each kind of aromatherapy oil has varying therapeutic qualities, you cannot ensure that the product you’re planning to buy will not cause you any harm. Make sure that you know what are the properties to be used for a specific purpose of illness.
– Be meticulous about the container. The first thing you should consider in buying aromatherapy oil is the container. If you see an essential oil that is placed in clear bottle or a plastic bottle, then disregard it because light has probably lack or excessive light might have damaged the intrinsic properties of the aromatherapy oil. Make sure that you buy aromatherapy oils that are placed in colored bottles to ensure quality.
– Make sure that you check and double check label. By checking the label, you can ensure that the aromatherapy oil you are planning to buy is pure. Avoid buying those bottles that say “perfume” or “fragrance oil” because these do not contain pure aromatherapy oils extracted from plants.
– Examine the bottle carefully for dust and expiration date. If the bottle has dust on its cap or around its container, don’t buy it because this indicates that the product you’re planning to buy is old and have probably lost its aromatic scent and healing properties.
– Consider the price. Since pure aromatherapy oils are extracted and distilled from various plants, they prices range drastically. Bear in mind that pure therapeutic aromatherapy oils that are derived from exotic plants are more expensive than those derived from common plants.